Search This Blog

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Paris, Texas


Movie: Paris, Texas
Starring: the dad from Pretty in Pink - Harry Dean Stanton


Okay, this movie was just weird....First of all, the reason that I was first drawn to it is that it was STARRING Harry Dean Stanton. Usually he just plays supporting roles or just very small roles (like the old man in the bar on You,Me, and Dupree)...I was curious as to how he would handle the lead. He actually did an amazing job with what he was given to work with. I didnt know what to expect from this movie but it left me with a numb feeling lol It was kind of like the feeling that you get after someone says something SO stupid that you are just complete taken aback by it....your brain is jumbled up and you are shocked that that kind of ignorance exists in this world....yeah, that's how I felt when it was over....I just sat there staring at the tv thinking "What in the world just happened?"

The movie is about a man who has been wandering through the desert for four years after leaving his wife and son. His brother ends up finding him randomly....I mean seriously, VERY randomly....like just driving down the road and "oh THERE you are!" after four years kind of random..... So the movie takes you through his journey of trying to remember his family as well as trying to reconnect with people from his past.

What I Did Not Like About This Movie:

- This movie had the potential to be very good but it was SOOO SLOW that I had a terrible time focusing on it. The script was full of so much garbage that it took away from the main point. It was almost 3 HOURS LONG!!! It could have been better if they made it HALF as long only focusing on the important things.

- The little kid in the movie was not very likable and it made me not feel sorry for him that his dad didn't remember him.....I would probably want to wipe him from my memory, too. He was just super annoying and whiny. Near the end of the movie, however, he becomes more likable but by then I had already decided that I didn't like him so it didn't matter :/ lol

- Maybe it was just me but throughout this movie I was left wondering what in the world was even going on?! It moved at a snail's pace......but then at the end, everything is EXPLAINED to you in the absolute LONGEST SCENE in ANY MOVIE, EVER! I hate when a movie is so confusing that it necessitates an ENTIRE scene to just explain what you just watched! Literally, the main character just sat there in a chair explaining basically EVERYTHING! If I can't just watch the dang movie and know what is happening then it just makes for a bad movie in my humble opinion....I understand a little mystery, that is great. But for the entire movie to make no sense and to have to be explained to me by the actors is ridiculous.

- The aunt in the movie had a really annoying accent....it was unbearable to listen to at times :/ ugh

What I Liked About this Movie:

- The way that this movie was filmed and the different artistic liberties that were taken made it almost seem as if it were filmed 2 years ago, not 26 years ago. They used a lot of symbolism in the movie, which I enjoy.

- The character development of the main character was not that bad.....it was a little weird and a little bit too fast for me but still....They had good ideas for this movie, it just did not come together well....

Rating:

I probably will never watch this movie again unless I am being tortured in a foreign country somewhere which in that case I am sure that they have this movie ready and waiting to be played in cycles. I give it 2 out of 5 hearts....I would give it one but I'm giving it 2 simply because it was ahead of its time in the way that it was filmed....it still looks modern....♥ ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment