Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Strangers


Movie: The Strangers (2008)
Starring: Liv Tyler & James Hoyt

This movie is one of my more recent thriller favorites. The thing that I like most about this movie is that it is believable. At the beginning of the movie you are told that it is based on a true story. That statement is both true and false. The Strangers draws inspiration from two separate true events, including the 1969 Manson murders as well as a crime that happened in the director's neighborhood when he was a child. The book "Helter Skelter" also played a role in the storyline of this film. Some have wondered if the film is also loosely based on the Keddie murders, which happened in 1981. The filmmakers have neither confirmed nor denied this.

The Strangers is about a couple, Kristen and James, staying in an isolated vacation home after attending a friend's wedding. In the early hours of the morning they receive a knock on the door from a strange visitor. Little did they know that this odd occurrence was just the beginning of the longest, most terrifying night of their lives when their home is invaded by three strangers, all wearing creepy masks. It is in these early morning hours that Kristen and James learn just how far they will go in order to survive.

What I Don't Like About This Movie:

- As I have in the past, I will list this in my 'What I like..' section as well as the 'What I Don't Like...' section. **SPOILER ALERT!!** I both love and hate the ending of this movie. I love it because it is not your typical Hollywood ending. I hate it, however, because it is truly horrible and heart wrenching. I absolutely cannot bear to watch it. I watched it the first time that I saw the movie but every time since I always stop it right before things come to a head and then I'm done. We each have our own level of what we can take. We each have things that bother us more than others.....the ending of this movie is one of those things for me

- James and Kristen do not listen to each other and this is annoying for me. This is the only part of the movie, at least for me, that did not seem that believable. At one point, before they realize that someone is actually in the home, Kristen sees someone outside and tries to tell James about it and he does not believe her. She is visibly shaken by what she has seen but James does little to comfort her. He basically from the beginning just tells her that she is overreacting. Maybe it's not so much that it's not believable for me (because I realize that this is how some couples are with each other), but for me it was an annoyance.


What I Liked About This Movie:

- I don't even know where to begin....First of all, something small: THE MUSIC. I love the soundtrack to this movie!! It does not contain your typical thriller movie music. All of the songs in the movie are very laid back and comforting but creepy at the same time. They couldn't have picked better songs to go with each of the scenes. They all fit perfectly. They would not have been my first choices but that is what I like about it. They're unexpected but they work so well.

- The suspense in this movie is unbelievable!! You are kept on the absolute edge of your seat from very near the beginning of the movie until the end credits begin to roll. You never know when the killers are around or where they could be because they are literally all over the property at different points in the movie. Some of the scariest parts in the movie are when James and Kristen can see the killers but the killers either don't know that they are there OR they know that they are there and it's all part of the game for them. Either way, AMAZING!!!! If you like to be scared then I suggest watching this movie at home alone, late at night, with all of the lights off! You will not be disappointed!

- In many thriller type movies the filmmakers will go over the top with blood and gore and screaming and big chase scenes....They will add action and a lot of noise to get a reaction from their audience. This movie is the complete opposite. The filmmakers have used subtle sounds and brief imagery to bait their audience in. From anything as small as a wind chime on the porch to a creak of the floorboards....it leaves you constantly wondering "Is that them?"....The knocks on the door are even creepy in the way that they were delivered....and the way that the killers speak is almost a whisper at times.....I felt that this helped me to better put myself in their place because these are all sounds that most of us have heard late at night. Our hearts start to beat fast, our eyes dart around, and we wonder to ourselves "What was that?! Is someone there?!" You have that same feeling throughout this movie!! :)

- As I mentioned before, one of the things that I like the MOST about this movie is that it IS so believable. It was believable to the point that after watching it I started Googling Kristen and James' names because I wanted to know more about what happened. As with the subtlety and familiarity of the sounds used in the film to instill fear and suspense into the audience, I found the believability of the story itself to be the most terrifying thing of all.

- The pace of the movie was great and the storyline flowed very well.

- The acting in this movie is fantastic! Liv Tyler is such an under appreciated talent. I wish that she did more thriller type of movies because she can act scared with the best of them!!

- I told you that this would be in both the 'like' and 'dislike' categories....I loved the ending of this movie!!!! It was perfect. If it had ended any other way it would have taken away from the entire film....

- I like the irony of the setting as compared to the situation/circumstances....The home in the movie is very warm and cozy looking....It actually relaxes me even just thinking about the laid back,comforting feel to the place....but then you have a situation happening within it that is ANYTHING but.....

- While we are on the subject of irony, I absolutely LOVE the different looks of each of the killers in the movie!!!!! Two of the three masks that they wear are very playful and childlike, which adds to the creepiness of the film....And on the subject of the masks....the wardrobe throughout this movie is great....Every character in the film seems to be unified in their dress....And speaking of dresses (lol), Liv's dress at the beginning of the film is gorgeous :)

- If I could only tell you ONE thing to note before watching this film it would be this: When you think there is nothing going on and everything is quiet and the killers are nowhere to be seen.....look a little closer ;)

- I love that the filmmakers took so many chances with this movie!!! They did not use your typical music for a thriller movie, they did not go heavy on the action, they did not go for the blood and gore that most do, and they did not make the ending what I believe most people would have wanted the ending to be....They chose subtlety over "in your face" horror....If I could liken this movie to anything it would be the absolute softest touch followed by the biggest punch in the face that you have ever had in your life. This movie goes there and I respect any filmmaker who is not afraid to stray from the norm!!

Rating:

This is the type of movie that I can watch over and over and over again (and I have!!) I easily give this movie a FIVE out of FIVE hearts and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for an AMAZING thriller!!!

<3<3<3<3<3

2 comments:

  1. While I didn't love it as much as you, I still found it very entertaining. The ending was one of the most cold, odd things - and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I just really love this movie....I love putting it in on nights when I'm home alone :):) But yeah, the ending....I just cant even handle watching it lol Like you said...it's perfect!!!! I wouldnt have had the ending any other way because it wasn't what you would expect and that made me love it....but at the same time, it's just SO hard to watch!!! :*( <3

    ReplyDelete