Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Dead Pool


Movie: The Dead Pool (1988)
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Liam Neeson
Featuring: Jim Carey


When I saw the list of who was in this film, I HAD to watch it!! I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan and was very interested to see what kind of a role Jim Carey played. The acting was superb, however, the movie itself was too long.

Clint Eastwood comes back as "Dirty Harry" Callahan in The Dead Pool. In this film, an underground sports pool of sorts is going on with bets placed on which celebrity is going to die next. Celebrity's names are crossed off one by one while Dirty Harry racks his brain trying to find the killer(s). But will HE be next?

What I Liked About This Movie:

- JIM CAREY! His role in this movie was great. Jim does not play his usual "funny man" role but rather a drug addicted rocker. The first few seconds that we see Carey in the film, however, he is up to his usual routine of dancing around and busting out some of his signature moves/expressions. His look is different from any other look that I've seen him have in any of his other films. When he's not dancing around trying to make a music video, he is serious and almost dark. Amazing performance!!

- Liam Neeson's killer rat tail!

- Clint Eastwood, as always, was amazing :) He never disappoints me in his delivery.

- Cheesy one liners....I dunno, I'm a sucker for 'em :)


What I Did Not Like About This Movie:

- The idea behind this movie is awesome!! However, this movie was FAR too long....Had it been shorter and stayed more on track I probably would have liked it better. I found myself getting bored and just wanting it to be over.

- One thing that would have made this movie better for me is if Jim Carey had been in it LONGER. His character was only in the movie for maybe 6 minutes TOPS. This disappointed me as I would have LOVED for them to have developed his character more. In the short time that he was on screen you could tell that he really had a strong grip on his character...I just wish that he had had more screen time to allow us to be more connected to him.

- By the end of this movie, I was lost. When the killer was revealed I did not even know who he is or what he was talking about when he was telling why he had started killing people. The movie most definitely peaked when Jim Carey was on the screen and that, unfortunately, was very near the beginning of the film.

Rating:

I enjoyed the idea of this movie, I just wish it had stayed on topic more. It lost me by the end and I wanted a lot more Jim Carey!! Overall, I give it a 2 out of 5 hearts. Not that great, except for Jim and of course Clint Eastwood.

<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment